Monday, April 9, 2012

Friendship Through Online Communities

I have friends all over the world.  Most of them are people I have never met 'in person', yet our connection is very real.   We've come in contact through various social media sites via online targeted communities.  In my case, through doll, bead, jewelry & button groups, forums or e-mail lists. 


Some are people I've met only once or twice, usually at an event, and stayed in touch with afterwards because we had an affinity or common interest come to light during our brief encounter.  We maintain our relationship online through Facebook and e-mail.


By connecting with people whose experience & sphere of influence is different than my own, I have learned things that I might never have been exposed to any other way.  They've added value to my life and I cherish every single one of them.


No, it's not quite the same as having a friend close by who you can call on the phone (minus long distance charges), go to dinner with, get together for craft nights or to have sleep-over/gab sessions with.  BUT I still hurt when my online friends hurt, laugh when they laugh and celebrate milestones with them.


So, to all my online friends wherever you are....please know that you are important to me and that I am always available for a much needed chat.  I promise to listen with an open mind, offer my advice or perspective, and help in any other way when I am able.

Hugs to you all.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Bonnie, this is such a lovely post, from a very lovely lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, some fine words here! Online friends are great and can really become close friends. And it's especially neat when you get to meet those online friends in person! Fortunately I have met so many people now through the years that I met online first. Happy to have you as a new online friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete