Wednesday, February 6, 2013

This (Necklace, Bracelet, Artwork) Looks Different

An online, jewelry-making friend posted a comment/status on Facebook last night that I can really understand & relate to.

“Why doesn’t this look as good as it did in my head?”

So many times, that very same question has passed my lips as I have completed a project and it really doesn’t look anything like the picture in my mind. Why does that happen?


There are several reasons that I can see:

1. Different materials create a different ‘look’. I can’t tell you how often I have been unable to find the supplies (beads, findings, charms) that I want for the conceptual image of a project that I have in my head. The substitutions you must settle with can give your creation a completely different look & feel.  It can be extremely frustrating, and at times, discouraging.


2. Your skill level in the technique or method you are using is not what it needs to be. The value of ‘practice, practice, practice’ is highlighted in these circumstances. Formal training from an expert may be required too. I have tried following along with the step-by-step instructions in a tutorial but there are times that until I SEE someone doing it in front of me, it doesn’t make sense.  It doesn’t matter how good the photos & instructions are.


3. The creative process lends itself to wandering off in directions not planned or expected, that goes without saying. Sometimes those meanderings turn out great, better than your original vision, sometimes they don’t.


4. There could be a fundamental design flaw that, for any number of reasons, will not work in the real world. What you ‘think’ could or should work, frequently doesn’t. A complete or partial re-design would be required in this case.

Isn't it amusing how a random comment can generate a complex examination of a process or technique? And it turns into a blog post. *smile*

No comments:

Post a Comment