Saturday, August 31, 2013

Focusing on Life - Week 35


Growth and Change

We are in an ever changing growing environment. Not only are we in a constant state of flux but everything around us is as well. Most of the time, these changes go unnoticed, our ever expanding horizons quietly growing and changing our thinking, our creativity, even our relationships.

This week, we are focusing on what is growing and changing about you or the environment around you.


For many years, my world was an ever expanding place. New friends, new experiences, new places to explore. I took things for granted though, did not fully appreciate them as they presented themselves to me.

How I wish that I could turn back the clock and re-visit those times, spend more quality moments with the people, and stop to smell the roses along the way.

My world has significantly narrowed in the last few years. Mobility issues keep me cloistered either at work or at home these days. Pain zaps the energy from me every minute of every day. There is no relief, even when I sleep.

My interpersonal contact has been reduced to my co-workers and my nuclear family. The social butterfly in me yearns for interaction with others. Online chatting fills the void a bit but it is not a replacement to spending in-person time with a wider circle of people.

I depend on others to help me with the simplest tasks. At first, it was hard for me to admit that I need help. My limitations are still frustrating and hard to accept some days.


In spite of all this, there are still areas of growth for me in the smaller world where I reside. I have to keep reminding myself that it's not all bad, just different. Not always an easy perspective to have, I must admit.

I did not intend this to be a soliloquy of how terrible my life is, although at this point you may be thinking I'm a bit of a whiner. There are lots of positive things that have entered into my world too and I cherish every single one of them. I see them from a new perspective.

I guess the lesson that I'm trying to pass along to everyone is to not take anything for granted, to live each day to the fullest, and to appreciate all the ups and downs of daily living. One day, you will miss them and look back wishing you had taken advantage of an unexpected opportunity, or spent time with someone who is no longer with us.

To see the growth in the lives of the other participants, check the links below...

22 comments:

  1. Change is not always good, but you seem to be making the best of it! Your world includes your art, so it's infinite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we think the change in not good, but in the end, it turns out to be for the better. It certainly has given me more time to create. Just wait to see what I will have to share this weekend!

      Delete
  2. Yes slowing down is hard. THinking I used to be able to do this why can't I do it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mind is willing but the body won't co-operate, but falling and injuring myself even further is not a good option. I've learned to be patient with myself, to s-l-o-w down. *smile*

      Delete
  3. My Dad is always saying youth is wasted on the young :)
    I'm deeply grateful that I've always been able to immerse myself in the moment (I'm an Enneagram Type 4 - button in my right sidebar). But like all personality traits, it's a double-edged sword - the good times are so wonderful, the bad times excruciating...
    Wishing you good moments of growth and change this week x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie I think we all have times when we wish we could turn back the clock and do things differently. It's good that you can appreciate life more now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post has a lot of wisdom in it and thanks for sharing about your limited access. As I age I wonder how I will react if my life gets restricted. I think you are doing a great job coping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an honest post, I don't think you sound like a whiner. I think you sound like someone who's had some ups and downs and growth and changes and is giving some sound wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Bonnie, that's surely a change - I hope you're feeling a little better every day. It is growth too: into a new season of your life, you can now spread your wings and become the virtual socializing butterfly:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After awhile, the pain becomes 'normal'. And a REALLY bad day, makes me appreciate the 'not so bad' days even more. I never knew what pain management was before but you really do have to manage it. I decided a long time ago that I had a choice...let the pain win, or conquer the pain. I went with the latter. *smile*

      Delete
  8. Life is difficult at best, and can be Hell on Earth at it's worst, but staying strong and believing in yourself is the more than half the battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Marlene. And I'm not about to roll over and give up yet. *smile*

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the reminder to appreciate the life we have, to cherish our friends and family, and to never take anything for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the hustle and bustle of daily living, we forget that sometimes, don't we?

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you are making the best of it. My husband is in a similar boat, and sometimes, well I just do get tired of his "whining" but, "for better or worse, in sickness and in health" I made the commitment so I just smile and try to change his mind. I know it is hard and he is so limited to how far we can go and do things....not like in the younger days. But, this is the path God gave me so I will trod on it til it changes...(no pun intended)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like he hasn't yet accepted his limitations. I know how difficult that can be. It seems like you haven't either, Vera. You can't change his mind, you can only change your own.

      Delete
  11. I don't think you are whining at all. I think we all have a perspective on life that Sally's prompts brings out. I think we have to be honest with where we are at in our lives. You are doing your best with the situation you have been given, you seem to have realized that you must connect and enjoy the moments you are in. That says a lot to me. Well done Bonnie. I appreciate you sharing your story and reminding all of us to enjoy our moments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think most of us, if not all, take things for granted and it we could go back we would live differently giving more attention to the little things. I’ve been reading your blog for some weeks now, I don’t think you’re a whiner at all. I love your creations, writing and sense of humour and I’m sure you try to find the beauty in each day. All the best, Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana. My sense of humour has been my lifesaver. Laughter is the best medicine, as they say. A good belly laugh can make a bad day better.

      Delete
  13. Thank you Bonnie for such an important reminder. May you continue to look at the positive side of things and continue to grow in wisdom!

    ReplyDelete