Friday, November 15, 2013

Focusing on Life - Week 46


The start of the holiday season is coming up quickly whether we are ready or not. So before jumping in to all the hustle and bustle, let's take a moment to slow down and reflect on all the joy, peace, happiness and love we already have in our life.

My question is, why don't we do that EVERY day of the year? We should be living our lives with an attitude of gratitude all the time, shouldn't we? 

The benefits of a daily gratitude practice can be life-altering. Gratitude strengthens relationships, improves health, reduces stress, and, in general, makes you happier. Gratitude will help you realize what you have and can lessen your need for wanting more.

There are three components to a gratitude practice...
1. Recognize what you are grateful for
2. Acknowledge it
3. Appreciate it

My favourite gratitude practice is to take time at the end of the day to write down, in a special journal, all the things that I am grateful for. It's important to include at least five things each day but I can generally find more, even on a bad day.


It only takes five minutes and you will be amazed at how good it makes you feel. It will change your whole outlook on life. Try it. I promise you'll like it.

'We don't need more to be thankful for, we just need to be more thankful.'


To see the reflections of the other participants, check out the links below...

9 comments:

  1. Great reminder. I don' t write down what I'm thankful for but at the end of the day I remember them when I say my bedtime prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea! And you're right - being more thankful is key.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! ANd yes we all should be more thankful for what we have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thankful and grateful every single day of my life. And I almost always tell that all important "you know who" every night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie I love your gratitude practice. My hubby always asks us when we're sitting down together, "So, what was your favorite part of your day?" and the son usually says 'sleeping in my bed' or 'dinner' (teenager!!) but it always makes us think about what we're grateful for. I like your idea of writing things down each day - it takes you to a quiet place within yourself and really helps you to focus. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A daily pause to reflect is a great habit. Nice photo of your journal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie your post today is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wise words Bonnie. If only they could be shouted to all the world to hear. Thank you

    ReplyDelete