Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Taking Excellent Product Photos

Taking excellent product photos is absolutely crucial to having a successful online hand-made business. That is a fact that cannot be challenged or denied.

I, personally, have a lot to learn about taking excellent product photos. That, also, is a fact that cannot be challenged or denied.

Let me try to evaluate some of the current photos in my Etsy shop. Of the most common photography mistakes, here are the ones that I seem to consistently make...

1. Poor lighting
2. Distracting backdrops and props
3. Grainy images
4. Strong hard shadows

How do I fix those classic errors? Let's first look at a few simple solutions.

Utilize natural light but when not possible, and artificial light must be used, select white not yellow light. Photograph on a plain white background without props. The extra clutter distracts from your product. Do not over-process photos after downloading them to avoid the grainy images. To eliminate harsh shadows don't use the flash when taking photos.


It looks like I have some work to do. No time like the present to get started on it. I have a lot of new photos to take and replace in my Etsy shop.

2 comments:

  1. Here's a sight that might help. Your items are small, so you'd only need a little box. http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/26/how-to-make-a-light-box/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will definitely check out the instructions to make a small light box.

      Delete