Sunday, March 12, 2017

Pocket Letters

What is a pocket letter, you ask? I think the original creator, Janette Lane, explains it best...

'I created Pocket Letters™ as a new way to send letters to your new or existing penpals. Basically, you fill all the pockets of a 9 Pocket Trading Card Protector and send the whole page to someone who wants to swap with you. This can be a one-time exchange or you can keep exchanging Pocket Letters indefinitely. You fill the pockets with anything you like (stickers, tea bags, a note, washi tape samples, pictures, etc.) A short note or letter is included and tucked into one of the pockets. Then the Pocket Letter is folded up and sent in a standard 10 size envelope. It's the perfect way to send and collect letters from other Pocket Letter Pals (ie people who are sending mail in this format) around the world and a convenient way to store them. They fit perfectly in a binder!'

You can find more information, some video tutorials and freebies on her blog.

I'll be honest, I was always a bit intimidated by the prospect of creating pocket letters. Some of the ones I'd seen on YouTube and Facebook looked so elaborate. It did not look like anything that I could possibly do.

Fast forward to today...one online video turned my doubt into certainty this week. And here are my first two pocket letters. The empty pockets on the back are where the letters will go.


Pocket Letter #1 - Front

Pocket Letter #1 - Back

Pocket Letter #2 - Front

Pocket Letter #2 - Back

Here is the video that moved me to action. (click here) Rebecca, a fellow Canadian, made it look easy enough for even me to do.

One of these pocket letters is being exchanged with a friend but the other one is available to the first person who would like to exchange one with me. You can let me know by commenting on this post.

8 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. I had a ton of fun putting them together.

      Delete
  2. I'll exchange a pocket letter with you Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these is for you, Trish! I will be sending yours tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Pocket letters are fun for sure, but believe it or not, I was intimidated by them at first too, but the ones I have done in the past were more elaborate than these, so I am looking forward to creating something not so elaborate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to exchanging pocket letters with you, Dar. I think the whole concept of the pocket letters was just to be a simple extension of a pen pal letter.

      Delete
  4. Way to go Trish...pocket letters are fun but can be expensive to send unless you just go with the minimal and not be elaborate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, I really like the video that moved you and what she did with the edge of her pocket letter using washi tape.

    ReplyDelete